Senior year summer: one last hurrah

Amber Roldan

With pressure to have the perfect summer before starting college, the beauty of the simplicity and impulsivity of summer vacation can quickly fade. Spending carefree time with friends and family will allow seniors to fully enjoy and appreciate their post-graduation summer. Purchasing a disposable camera can help permanently capture and encapsulate the memories created this summer.

Amber Roldan, Editor-In-Chief

With the countdown to graduation dwindling down to a matter of days, seniors turn in their final assignments as they prepare to walk across the stage to receive their diplomas on May 24. With seniors planning to attend numerous colleges and universities across the nation, they begin to prepare for the bittersweet goodbyes they will exchange when summer comes to an end. Until then, fun outings and adventures will allow NC’s senior class to enjoy their last summer at home before venturing out into the real world.

“I am friends with a lot of underclassmen, so when I graduate I won’t get to see them as frequently. So, I plan to hang out with them a lot this summer and look forward to spending time with them,” senior Sydney Ingram said.

With numerous bodies of water scattered across Cobb County, anyone can grab a friend and head to the lake. Lake days create the perfect opportunity to soak up the sun while simultaneously creating new memories. From fishing to paddle boarding, Lake Acworth and Lake Allatoona boast numerous ways to enjoy Georgia’s local lakes. Waterside hikes and picnics can appease teens hoping to enjoy the view while simultaneously staying dry.

“The lake is my happy place. There are no problems on the lake, everyone is so hospitable and the weather, music and food are always great. I look forward to spending a lot of my summer on the lake with my family and dog,” senior Lorenzo Alarcon said. 

Whether taking a day trip to Chattanooga, driving down to Florida or booking a flight up north, traveling this summer will forge new memories and strengthen friendships. Escaping one’s hometown for a couple of days will instill seniors with a sense of freedom before they head off to college this fall. Roadtrips gift those traveling together with time to converse and enjoy each other’s company. This experience creates the perfect outing for friends attending different schools.

“This is the first time I have been allowed to vacation with friends without my family, so I am excited to go to the beach with my friends. We are going to Seaside and can’t wait to shop at the pier and spend time on the beach,” senior Ellie Boyle said.

For those looking for a glimpse of vacation without breaking the bank, camping offers an ideal way to spend a couple of days with friends away from home. Camping constitutes an affordable way to spend time with friends surrounded by nature. Redtop Mountain and Lake Allatoona prove the endeavor’s affordability and offer campsites for as low as $25 a night. In a time where shopping and social media take over the lives of teens, camping can allow them to escape the stress and pressures of daily life and enjoy the simplicity of friendship in nature around a campfire.

Seniors can easily lose themselves amid the chaos of their final high school year. With demanding extracurriculars and rigorous course loads, seniors find little time for recreational activities. Aside from taking trips and planning outings with friends, summer also provides the perfect opportunity for relaxation and self-growth. Learning a new skill or refining a forgotten one can serve as a form of stress relief. For those pursuing self-discovery before college, self-help books and podcasts can help pass time while sitting by the poolside this summer. Catching up on a favorite TV show or starting a new series also allows seniors to relax and break free from school-induced stress.

Ultimately, no matter how one chooses to spend their post-graduation summer, the company by their side will create memories and manifest a personal legacy. Spending quality time with friends and family before starting their next chapter in life will grant seniors a sense of closure as they prepare to pack their bags.