Greenhouse Gang greets a new leadership board

This year’s new Greenhouse Gang brings a greater number of flora than last year, thanks to a variety of new plants arriving at the club. All the students love playing in the dirt and cannot wait to grow the newly introduced plants such as bonsai. The members enjoy learning how plants grow by seeing their progress blossom. “Everyone is invited to join us and bring something to the garden table. The more we know, the more we grow,” NC club sponsor Susan Aughey said.

Susan Aughey

William Mullinax, Reporter

With the new school year rolling in, this means a new year for NC’s Greenhouse Gang (GHG). The latest season means that members need to pick out fresh leadership in the club. The official naming of the new vice president and leadership board occurred on August 17. Senior GHG President Mia Courtney left the vice president and the board of leadership positions distributed to the students who showed an interest in leading the club before the new semester.

The vice president helps the president lead the club, making the Greenhouse Gang one of the largely student-operated clubs. The leadership board aids NC student and faculty advertisement, community outreach and program logistics to forward the club’s goals of fostering plants. 

“Last year had its ups and downs for Greenhouse Gang, but overall we had one of our most successful years coming back from the pandemic. I believe this year we have an amazing team and can make this year even more successful and an even better experience for all of our members. I can’t wait to work with my team again,” Courtney said.

The first meeting invited new members interested in joining GHG to become acquainted with the new leadership and returning club members. The first meeting took place on August 24 and will repeat every Wednesday following from 3:45 p.m. to 5 p.m. in room 714: NC club sponsor Susan Aughey’s room Aughey and all of the returning GHG members plan to make the school look even nicer with the help of the new personnel and hope to keep the welcoming community inside of the GHG.

“I am excited to be working with GHG. The flowers by the 700 stairs were planted by GHG members. The returning students and our leadership board came up with fabulous new ideas for beautifying the school and collaborating with other high schools on community projects. What makes GHG unique is that everyone is invited to join us and bring something to the garden table,” Aughey said.

Most of the activities that the club works on take place due to the club members’ desire to grow new plants. From which plants to sell to which ones to grow, students run it all. Club members decide whether they will cultivate plants like succulents or flowers first in order to maintain a strong plant-selling economy. New plants, including bonsai trees and mushrooms, will grow this upcoming year, adding to the tomatoes and flower arrangements already featured in the plant sale including bonsai trees. 

“I’ve been getting into Bonsai. I’m spending time with the trees too. It’s just been fun to learn about it because it’s such an interesting combination of art and problem-solving and science. It’s always been an interest of mine, but I’ve only really in the last couple of years learned the details about how to do it,” NC English language arts teacher Krista Wilson said.