NC takes a break

Jasmina Buranich

Approaching the wrap-up of the 2022-2023 school year, NC families enjoyed their final and most exciting break yet: spring break. The majority of NC families spent April 1 through April 9 relaxing in the comfort of their homes and spending time with their families. Although, with popular vacation destinations in the Sunshine State such as Panama City Beach, Destin, Seaside and Miami, heaps of students and faculty enjoyed their break at the coastline.

Jasmina Buranich, Copy Editor

The long-awaited 2022-2023 school year spring break from April 1 to April 9 offered students and faculty members opportunities to relax, complete projects and travel domestically and internationally. Considering that this break stood as the last high school break for graduating seniors and the final break of the school year for all students and faculty, NC families spent their week in exciting ways and at popular destinations.

Spanning over 19 miles of Florida, Panama City Beach (PCB) welcomed thousands of teenagers from Saturday, April 1, through Sunday, April 9. Though definitely a party vacation area due to the high adolescent population, NC students enjoyed time at the shore with their classmates. With popular restaurants such as Pineapple Willies and Harpoon Harry’s, PCB offered delicious foods on the beach. Moreover, vacationers visited Pier Park to fulfill their shopping and dining needs.

“I visited Panama City Beach for the first time during my sophomore year. I think that seeing people you know and hanging out with your best friends at the beach is what makes PCB so much fun. The beach is crazy packed but it’s definitely a teenage experience,” junior Gabrielle Miller said.

Destin

Forty-seven miles—  a nearly one-hour drive— away from PCB stands the city of Destin. Destin offers a family-friendly environment for those wanting to enjoy the shore without heavy crowds. Popular tourist attractions include the Destin Harbour Boardwalk and The Market Shops

Greater Florida Area

For those who wished to travel a bit farther while enjoying the Sunshine State and all of its aspects, popular destinations such as Seaside, Miami and Tampa served as hot spots in Florida for spring-breakers. With Seaside within a short driving distance from Georgia, and Miami and Tampa only a short flight away, NC students packed their bags and took on Florida for their final break.

The Carolinas

Six percent of NC families decided to spend their time away from Florida and ventured out into North and South Carolina. With North Carolina harboring the Outer Banks, families took their chance to relax in their beach houses before North Carolina’s hurricane season. Due to the season beginning in June and concluding in November, Cobb County’s April break served as the last opportunity for families to visit the Banks worry-free. 

With a similar hurricane season, South Carolina welcomed travelers to enjoy the infamous Myrtle Beach. With fine dining and entertainment such as Broadway at the Beach and the Hollywood Wax Museum, Myrtle Beach served as a family-friendly place to enjoy spring break.

Asia

Although a long distance and travel away from home, NC teachers and students took on Asia at the end of March and continued traveling during their break. The NC Magnet Program for International Studies hosted its annual senior trip. With visits to places such as Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand, NC magnet students used a new approach to international studies. Chaperones and students visited tunnels in Vietnam and museums throughout Asia. After a long time away from home, they finally returned Monday, April 10.

“[My favorite part about the trip was] seeing how cultures there are different from ours here. It’s on the complete other [sic] side of the world so it’s not the same. I think the trip gave us a  more hands-on experience. As opposed to just learning about these countries in the classroom, going on these trips you can see for yourself what they teach you [in the classroom,]” magnet senior Melanie Maker said.

Staycation

Considering the end of the school year stands near, the majority of NC students spend their breaks in their homes rather than on a beach or touring a new continent. From earning additional money by picking up extra shifts at work to working on schoolwork and college preparation to providing their brain with a break from academic overload, students spent their break at home doing as they wished.