Lady Warriors take on senior night with a sweep

The Lady Warriors varsity volleyball team (19-7) won their senior night region match against the Kennesaw Mountain Mustangs (8-15) in a 3-0 score. The senior ceremony produced an uproar of excitement from the underclassmen and the crowd as varsity coach Stephen Sansing recognized and celebrated each senior. The game showcased the team’s close bond and passion for the sport as they cheered for each other throughout the match.

The Lady Warriors varsity volleyball team (19-7) faced the Kennesaw Mountain High School Mustangs (8-15) for the senior night region match September 6. Winning by a sweep with a 3-0 set score,  NC experienced tumultuous support from the student section, who dressed in pink to match the “pink out” theme. 

Prior to the game, the team held a ceremony to celebrate the senior players. First, varsity volleyball head coach, Stephen Sansing, who reached his 500th career win August 15, briefly recognized the seniors on the Kennesaw Mountain team and gifted each one with flowers. After this, the NC seniors walked one at a time through decorative balloons in the orange and blue NC colors, accompanied by their families and their favorite teachers. As they walked across the court, the underclassmen players lined up at their sides to meet each senior member with a bouquet of flowers and impromptu hugs. Once the seniors and their escorts walked through the path, Sansing read a brief speech of each senior. The speeches detailed the player’s time on the varsity team, favorite memory of the team and how long they have played as well as each senior’s future plans and aspirations. Filled with laughter, cheers from the audience and a reminiscent teary-eyed crowd, family and fans enjoyed the ceremony.

During the transition from the senior ceremony and the match, the Lady Warriors filled the gymnasium with hugs for their teammates and family, showcasing the bond between the team.

“The best part of playing for NC is definitely the memories we have all created. All the trips we have been on have been things I will never forget because of the people around me who have always just brightened up the mood. Coaches and teammates are bonds that are hard to find and I appreciate the uplifting responses from all of them,” NC senior outside hitter Hannah Lumpkin (5) said.

The team continued to show their chemistry throughout the entirety of the game. In the first set, a lengthy rally sparked a tense reaction from the entire crowd. From the sidelines and the student section, the NC volleyball players and fans cheered on the players, and Lumpkin ended the rally with an impressive kill.

The set continued with a competitive and enduring spirit from the Lady Warriors. They fought to play their best and made incredible plays such as the digs by senior defensive specialist Itoro Okpok (6) and sophomore libero Hannah Nicholson (9). Though the Lady Warriors fell behind in score at tense times, the team continued to cheer each other on within and outside of the court. The set ended in a 19-25 score for the Lady Warriors, which resulted in the NC team winning the set.

The team continued its success into the second set, which began with a kill from  senior outside hitter and defensive specialist Nikol Antova (16). This feat contributed to Antova’s 19 kills throughout the game, leading the team and reflecting her total of 893 varsity career kills. Following, senior middle hitter Titomi Adeyinke (12) also provided a kill, which contributed to the ending set score of 14-25 for the Warriors, resulting in the awarding of the second set to NC.

Into the third set, the Lady Warriors and the NC audience felt optimistic because of how well the team played. Even though this round started with the Mustangs in the lead, the Lady Warriors slowly came back through diligent teamwork fueled by the support of their teammates on the sidelines and the crowd in the stands. The set picked up as senior setter Anabell Gordon (17) struck three aces. Also, senior outside hitter Alexandria James (14) contributed kills to the ending score of 21-25 for the NC team. When the Warriors won the third set, it concluded the game in a clean sweep for the NC team. 

The game ended in a sweet experience for the seniors, winning their senior night and playing with their beloved teammates. While not all of the team will continue their volleyball careers after high school, they can carry this experience and countless other memories and friendships with them long after the season ends.

“Getting to meet a diverse group of people every year is something I would never be able to do had I not played volleyball each year. You [and your team] want the same things, so you work together to earn that. I’m happy to be ending my volleyball experience with my current teammates,” NC senior right hitter Imani Mensah (11).

The Lady Warriors will bring this victory to their next region game at Wheeler High School September 12 at 6:30 pm. Support the Lady Warriors as they continue to defend and work to add to their two region wins!