NC track and field senior night 2024: celebrating champions 

Jacey Cuffie
As the track and field team hosted their first home meet of the season, the graduating athletes said their bittersweet goodbyes to their friends and coaches. NC welcomes the community and parents to wish their beloved athletes goodbye and good luck on their future accomplishments. Although the stirring senior night brought tears to parents’ and fellow track stars’ eyes, the victorious meet against Kennesaw Mountain did not disappoint.

March 27, NC hosted its first home meet of the season, doubling the excitement with a celebration: senior night for the class of 2024. Throughout the season, these athletes have diligently prepared to showcase their talents at home. Carrying the momentum from the Cobb County Championships—where 15 of NC’s athletes advanced to finals and the girls placed 6th overall and the boys placed 15th overall—the team entered this meet with a sense of determination and pride. This season’s seniors will forever cherish the memories they have created and the memories they will continue to create as the season progresses. 

After the field events came to an end, seniors and parents took to the 50-yard line for their goodbyes. The seniors gathered with their parents and loved ones while assistant coach Micheal Dillard congratulated them on their future endeavors and honors toward NC. The athletes said their final goodbyes to beloved head coach Chad Talley and assistant principal Matthew Williams. The seniors received a thank you from the NC track team along with roses and gift bags for each graduating athlete. 

“Being a part of the NC track team means so much to me. It means I have another family waiting to support me in my race. I felt extremely loved knowing my underclassmen and coaches showed me love. My favorite part about being on the track team is laughing it up with coach Talley,” senior Eliana Mbadinga said.

Among the seniors, Mbadinga stands out as she plans to take her talents to Kennesaw State University, where she aims to compete on their 100-meter dash, 200-meter dash and relay teams. However, not all seniors plan to pursue collegiate track careers. Magnet senior Lois Mwenja, for instance, plans to attend Georgia Tech and major in mechanical engineering. While Mweja will not continue her track career competitively, she holds the sport close to her heart and remains grateful for the lessons learned and memories created on the team. Similarly, magnet senior Kortlyn Riley plans to attend the University of Alabama at Birmingham and major in nursing

The Warriors dominated the track, securing numerous awards throughout the evening. Magnet senior Laibon Gitonga showcased his talents in the boys’ 110-meter hurdles, with a well-deserved victory. In the girls’ mile, magnet seniors Ndiya Onuoha and Isabel Baxter claimed first and second place, while sophomore Peyton Lewis impressed spectators with a stunning win in the boy’s mile.

Adding to the team’s success, Mwenja delivered a standout performance in the girls’ 400-meter dash, crossing the finish line in a time of 1:00:06, milliseconds away from her personal best. Senior Zion Bryan, new to the 400-meter event, ran a remarkable time of 52.64, earning him a first-place win. The Warriors did not compete in any relays at this meet, but that did not stop them from earning points. 

Competing in field events, NC’s athletes exhibited exceptional determination, securing wins in various events. Riley led the charge in long jump and triple jump for the girls and sophomore Carlos-Lopez Ledbetter took first in the boy’s triple jump. Senior Shea Thiewes soared to new heights in pole vault with a jump of 14-2 and a first-place finish. Junior Audrey Ward effortlessly cleared the high jump bar, with a five-foot jump and another first-place finish for the Warriors.

“I am really happy with the way we ran tonight. It was nice to have a home meet and have all the North Cobb students and faculty come out and show support. The team plans to use the win from this meet to carry us into the last stretch of the season. Hopefully, we can get some more personal records and go into regionals strong,” senior Josiah Alexander said.

NC celebrated a triumphant senior night, with the girls’ team amassing 108.5 points and the boys’ team amassing 99 points. As the evening concluded, coaches thanked the family members and the sponsors whose support fuels the team’s success. Looking ahead, NC anticipates hosting the regional championships at home Wednesday, April 17 and Friday, April 18. For those who like to support the Warriors on the road, the team will also compete Friday, March 29 at Hillgrove High School. Fans can purchase tickets for both meets on-site and on GoFan

The Chant extends warm congratulations to each senior on their accomplishments. As they prepare for the next stages of their lives, may they carry with them the resilience and determination that define the Warrior spirit. 

View Comments (1)