NC senior night: Which Warriors win?

Callie Kinsinger
Friday, October 27, fans celebrated the NC senior Warriors (6-3) in one of the final football games of the season. The pink-out-themed game marks the season’s approaching close, allowing attending students to see their senior peers walk across the field. The NC Warriors faced the Cherokee Warriors (1-8) and everyone riled up in excitement as the school year nears the end of the semester and the football team prepares for playoffs.

The NC Warriors varsity football team (6-3) faced the Cherokee Warriors (1-8) Friday, October 27 at Emory Sewell Stadium. This Warrior face-off marked the last home game of the year, leading to a wrapped-up football season. The game’s theme, pink-out, brought a decked-out student section in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Prior to the game, NC celebrated all the seniors who make Friday Night Lights an extraordinary experience for all. This includes senior football players, cheerleaders, JROTC cadets, marching band students, color guard and sports medicine students. Seniors walked across the football field in uniform alongside family and friends who supported them all four high school years. As students and parents cheered, seniors enjoyed celebrating the near end of their high school careers.

“The game was very important for me because it made me realize that high school is coming to an end. You never really realize that until you see the little checkpoints at the end of the year come out. I’m happy that I got to experience all of high school – the good and the bad – because it made me the person I am today and it’s gonna influence the person I will be in the future and I hope that applies to everyone else, too,” senior marching band member Joseph Pagan-Portes said.

The first quarter kicked off with two touchdowns, including senior wide receiver TJ Smith’s (3) 76-yard touchdown. Immediately pushing NC in the lead, this confidence spark also led senior running back David Eziomume (2) to score a touchdown in the first half. This game also marked Eziozume’s return to the field after injury from a game against the Walton Raiders (9-0), exciting fans to see him play once again.

“The game was important to the seniors and myself because we knew that this is the last regular home game of our season here at NC. Some guys get to go on to the next level, for many others, this is it. I felt the team performed very well. There were some mistakes, but overall everyone was dialed in and understood we had to win our senior night. I want kids to follow in my footsteps of going on to the next level and bringing an impact on your school’s legacy,” Eziomume said.

The Cherokee Warriors faced a penalty in the first half, leading the NC Warriors to aim for a two-point conversion. Unfortunately, NC proved unsuccessful in their attempts. With 56 seconds left before halftime, junior quarterback Nick Grimstead (15) made a 14-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Steele Ingram (10).

As halftime approached, NC held the win. The second quarter ended with the Cherokee Warriors scoring a three-point field goal, marking a 27-13 score, with NC in the lead. The NC marching band and color guard performed their show, Monarch, as entertainment during halftime, rallying school spirit and smiles on faces.

In the third quarter, sophomore running back Arquevious Echols (34) made a 34-yard touchdown run. As the last major score, it pushed NC into the limelight, Cherokee falling behind. The NC Warriors held their win throughout the rest of the game, the student section hyping the stands up. 

The final score, marked 41-20, brought NC to a win, rounding the perfect senior night to an end. With one final away game against the Osborne Cardinals (7-2), NC Warriors hope to end the season on a winning streak.