BREAKING: Rally rallies up over 250 holiday cards for families

Mia Kirkwood
Joining together with numerous clubs across campus, Rally Club encourages students to write holiday cards for Rally Foundation kids. The club used this opportunity to promote its goal of funding childhood cancer research and bring together NC students from various organizations to spread holiday cheer. Students decorate their cards based on various winter holidays for specialization.

Beginning December 4, Rally, a club dedicated to fundraising for childhood cancer research, teamed with various club organizations around the school to create holiday-themed letters for Rally Foundation families. Each participant could theme the cards on a December holiday, such as Christmas, Kwanzaa or Hanukkah, or simply base the card on the winter season. Embodying the joy of the holiday spirit, participants created cards ranging from minimalistic styles with sleek fonts to bright cards with maximalist decor.

“The co-presidents approached me and asked me about this idea of doing holiday cards for kids that are in the hospital getting treatment. [Co-president] Ciara Whimbush talked to the Rally Foundation’s representative who came out to visit with us and accepted our donations,” Rally sponsor Dr. Pamela Roach said. 

Although Rally Clubs usually base their organizations on money fundraising, the co-presidents of NC’s Rally Club created the idea of Christmas cards for Rally kids. Showcasing their fantastic leadership skills, the NC Rally co-presidents personally reached out to the representative of the Rally Foundation to express their contemporary idea to supply children receiving treatment from cancer with a cheerful, jolly message from NC students. 

The card-designing activity reigned successfully as students turned in a hundred cards filled with merry messages, fancy fonts, dazzling designs and classic Christmas colors. Various students created traditional cards—hotdog-style folded cards with an image on the front with a message inside. However, several other decorators created small, postcard-sized cards and adventurous students constructed large, unfolded construction paper cards and filled the space with holographic tape, glitter and stickers.

NC teens’ love for holiday cheer, arts and crafts and service to their local community helped Rally attract students across the school to participate in their perfectly curated holiday project. To the greatest surprise, the club received over 250 cards by December 13. 

Directing the fundraising club since 2021, Roach and club co-presidents hold various events and activities for club members and non-attending students to participate in for fundraising. From designing t-shirts, decorating posters to promote cancer awareness throughout the school, hosting spirit weeks and organizing gold-out football games, Rally knows the ins and outs of true student fundraising and community service. Through fun, enjoyable activities, Rally attracts students from all grades who not only want to earn service hours but also engage in a righteous cause.

“It was really successful—people have been bringing in so many cards, different groups have taken this on as a whole task. Various clubs, but especially Mr. Hargis with Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) and Mrs. Hopp have all participated. I have not made a card, I mostly suggested to students to make cards since I am very busy with finals week,” Roach said.

Further showcasing their incredible fundraising abilities, Rally collaborated with other school-wide clubs to include several members outside of Rally in card-making and promoting their cause. Interact Club joined in the fun by fusing their Christmas donation tradition with Rally’s. Every year, Interact Club, an organization based around community service, collects unwrapped toys to donate to kids participating in Cobb Christmas. This year, for their collaboration, Interact Club donated collected toys to Cobb Christmas and the Rally Foundation. DECA, Relay For Life Club, French Club and Key Club also helped create Christmas cards to participate in Rally’s holiday cheer.