Lady Warriors suffer defeat from the Trojans in season kick-off

Mia Kirkwood
NC’s varsity soccer Lady Warriors graced the pitch with excitement as new and old players teamed together to play against the Lassiter Trojans. This game marked the Warriors’ first official game of the season, leading after their pre-season scrimmage against Sprayberry. Although the Warriors persisted against the Trojans with aggression, Lassiter took the trophy with an ending score of 0-3.

Entering the pitch with newfound confidence and high aspirations, the NC varsity girls’ soccer team (0-1) welcomed the Lassiter Trojans onto their home turf for the season kick-off Tuesday, February 6. After suffering a loss in their pre-season scrimmage against the Sprayberry Hornets (1-2), the Warriors held their heads high and prepared to face the Trojans the following week. To begin the season off right, the team welcomed in a new head coach—Coach Christina Wilson—determined to lift the team to new heights.

“I was a former college coach for the past eight years for multiple Division I schools—my most recent Division I school I was at was Kennesaw State University….One of my colleagues mentioned that this job was open and I was interested right away. I ended up getting on the phone with Athletic Director Coach Williams and ended up loving it here. I love everything about this school—the people, the kids, the team—they drew me in right away. NC has a very familiar and familial feeling to it. It feels right to be here,” head coach Christina Wilson said. 

Excited to tackle their first official game of the season, the Warriors confidently entered the field. The girls advanced towards the goal various times at the beginning of the first quarter and gained multiple chances at scoring. The Trojans’ defense, however, prevented the Warriors from succeeding a goal. Eight minutes into the first quarter, the Trojans scored their first goal of the night after a persistent struggle for ball possession. The Trojans remained on offense for the majority of the first half, and the Warriors banded together to attempt for possession of the ball. Even with the girls’ attempts, the Trojans’ persistent push for possession scored them another goal, ending the first half with a second goal.

“To help our progress, we need to work on communication and movement throughout the entire field. Anticipating the ball and using our judgment to make goals is how we are going to see our team develop. Our team consists of many new players with just some returning, so we have to work harder to learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses during training to relay it into games. We’re very positive and we all enjoy each other’s company, so I know this year will be great no matter our outcomes,” senior goalkeeper and captain Hannah Mcleod (1) said.

Ending halftime, the Warriors sprang back onto the field at 0-2. Feeding off of the words of Coach Wilson’s halftime speech and the cheers from the boys’ varsity soccer team in the stands, the girls entered their field with exhilaration. Toward the end of the game, the Trojans earned a third goal, securing a win against the Lady Warriors at 0-3.

Disregarding the final results, the Warriors played an exceptional game, especially considering the mass amounts of new players and positions filled. Throughout the game, forward Julianna Patarroyo (17) used her defense skills and speed to maintain possession for the Warriors. In the second half, goalkeeper McLeod (1) secured various saves against the Trojans’ incessant tries for a goal. 

Zoe Parham (21) is dynamic, quick and smart—she’s making a big impact even in training. London Roby (4) is also doing great—she’s a defender who’s very calm, collected and technical. Jordan Peay also is doing great with her quickness, physicality and smart thinking. Those three are going to be game-changers even as freshmen, which is really rare. My senior leaders are incredible too—I have Hannah Mcleod (1) as goalkeeper and one of our captains Gabi Morales (8) who’s super fast and dynamic on defense. Ryan Lacey (14) is also doing great as a leader. Those are my current standouts, but everyone’s doing really great,” Wilson said.

With high hopes and team spirit, the girls will face the Sequoyah Chiefs (2-0) at Sequoyah High School this Friday, February 9 at 6 PM.