Lady Warriors soccer combat Campbell’s Lady Cougars, 3-2

Fatima Elfakahany

Freshman Zorae Tomlin chases the ball as a Lady Cougar kicks it away. Tomlin finished the game with two goals.

Fatima Elfakahany, Reporter, Photographer

Last Friday, the Lady Warriors soccer team prevailed over the Campbell’s Lady Cougars at North Cobb. Despite the 3-2 win, NC’s team anxiously awaits their next game, looking forward to their practices in preparation.

The Warriors kept the Cougars at bay for more more than an hour, scoring one goal in the first half and two in the second. However, with only eighteen minutes left in the game, Campbell scored, and also put one more in the net with only 42 seconds left.

“After they scored for a second time, we went on the defensive to protect our one goal lead,” said junior Riley Swab. “We’d been doing so well, we hadn’t been expecting that kind of game, and when they scored again we had to get focused again.”

Senior Abbie Duckett dribbles the ball past Campbell Cougars to pass to her teammates.
Fatima Elfakahany

With three team members injured prior to the game, NC relied heavily on defense.  In fact, Coach Romero changed the formation of the game from a 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2, meaning going from an offensive line up to a defensive one.

“We definitely improved from Tuesday’s game,” said Coach Romero. “We certainly surprised ourselves and Campbell, because I’m sure they were expecting an easier game.”

Their strategies appeared to work, however, as freshman Zorae Tomlin scored NC’s first goal twenty minutes into the game with Campbell players unable to stop the Warriors’ attack, or, until the very end of the game, to score again. Once the second half began, junior Sydney Baxter added another goal to NC’s total. Tomlin then scored once more, bringing her total goals this season up to six.

“I’ve been practicing a lot and it seems like it’s helping. I wasn’t really nervous, because I play soccer all the time, but my team works really well together and I think we’re really good,” Tomlin said.

This game proved a redemption match for NC as last year, the girls’ team lost to Campbell during penalty kicks in a region game. This game was personal, and they were looking forward to this match, focusing all energy in prior weeks to ensure a win.

“We need to practice more, because we’re still not playing the best soccer that we could. There’s definitely some things we can improve on, but we did pretty well on Friday,”  junior Rowan Yeni said.

Despite last year’s and even last week’s disappointing losses, the Warriors look forward towards their next opponent, Wheeler.

“I wish we would have finished with a clean sheet, and that’s something we need to work on,” said Coach Romero. “But overall they played how I wanted them to play, I gave them the objectives and they met them. I’m proud of them.”