D’Arcy inspires students to achieve goals

Melissa Sagaseta

Parent facilitator Martha D’Arcy assists a student with scholarship information during lunch.

Parent Facilitator Martha D’Arcy started pursuing a career as a lawyer before discovering her true passion: assisting students in their time of need. This passion allows her to create a strong bond and connection with her students, and lead her to uncover the strength of her influence on the NC nation.  

D’Arcy strives for perfection, highlighted by her saying, “I want to see all my students graduated.”

D’Arcy’s walls showcase encouraging words, seen instantly as one walks into her office.
Melissa Sagaseta

The dedication to her students shows as they file into her office located in the front of the school. Her walls and desks, with scholarship information and organizations that help students, showcase the opportunities one can find upon stepping into her room. With her charisma and lightheartedness, D’Arcy makes her students feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and emotions with someone they can trust for advice.

“I see myself in you and I want you guys to not miss these opportunities because I know you want to be successful,” she said.

Upon arriving in the southern state of Texas from Mexico, D’Arcy encountered others who found similar issues. The language and traditions seemed peculiar and the feeling of exile arose as her family adapted to American culture.

When asked why she chose to help others as a profession, D’Arcy responded, “When I moved to the United States, I saw my own people and foreigners, they had a hard time understanding and communicating. That’s when I decided to work in school and to be the voice for those who wanted to be heard.”

The impact D’Arcy makes on the NC nation reflects onto students. Junior Rosa Alvarez, a member of the Hope organization run by D’Arcy, appreciates the devotion she shows her students.

“A role model, she’s very caring and helpful with everything. She understands you when you’re having difficulties,” Alvarez said.

Each year D’Arcy receives new students with different backgrounds and cultures. Though as unique as her students seem, they all share a common goal. When asked about her students’ dreams, she responded with, “They are hungry for success, to be somebody.”