Annual Shop With a Warrior event brings smiles to NC

+Shop+with+a+Warrior+group+members+assisted+the+kids+wrap+their+presents%2C+ready+to+be+taken+to+their+parents+who+waited+in+the+Library.

Melissa Sagaseta

Shop with a Warrior group members assisted the kids wrap their presents, ready to be taken to their parents who waited in the Library.

Philip Wynne, Reporter

Every holiday season enables family and friends to show their appreciation for each other by giving. However, some neighbors in the community are not as fortunate, which leaves numerous families away from the joyful spirit that fills the air. NC’s annual Shop With A Warrior helps those underprivileged families in Kennesaw and Acworth receive the Christmas gifts they hope for.

NC managed to bring together groups of students to help out with the event on Saturday, December 12. Each group gets assigned a child and meets them at the high school at 9 am to spend the $125 raised by the group members. Every child has a list of gifts to get their family and themselves.

Both the groups and the children then board the school bus and start the trek to the Wal-Mart off Highway 41. Here, the NC marching band greets the children and the groups.. According to sophomore Jacob Watkins, the band plays stand tunes in hopes of leaving the shoppers “emotionally turnt” as they enter the building. Every time a new bus unloaded passengers, the band began playing more Christmas themed music.

Groups frantically shopped for items on the lists with their child. Some lists contained items such as clothes, appliances and other accessories, but majority of the situations included the child speed-walking straight to the toy section to obtain the hottest new action figure, doll, or game that they dream of.

Once the shoppers checked their list far more than twice to make sure everything added to $125, they paid for the items. Students paid for the items via Wal-Mart gift card. Afterwards, students loaded up the buses and headed back to the high school in order to wrap the presents.
Upon re-arriving at school, Santa Claus greeted the children. When asked how it feels to have numerous children looking up to him on a regular basis, Santa exclaimed, “It is surreal having so many kids surrounding you with joy and happiness. Let alone having all of them look up to use as an idol.”

As the children and their Shop with a Warrior group went about wrapping presents, Santa made a surprise visit. Faces lit up as Santa went around to the groups and interacted with the children.
Melissa Sagaseta

Santa watched as the little Warriors neatly wrapped their presents for the big day. The sounds of wrapping paper ripping and kids joyfully laughing filled the cafeteria in no time. Groups of people going from table to table could be heard as they retrieved necessities for the wrapping. As the wrapping came to an end, students and children alike flocked to the Freshman Academy cafeteria to wind down and enjoy a snack, where NC provided pizza and Christmas cookies.

After eating, children began returning to their families. Tears rushed down one grateful mother eyes due to the overwhelming happiness of their children: “It feels really good knowing that my daughter is genuinely happy. She was able to get gifts that she wanted as well as gifts for her siblings and parents. I’m very blessed with being able to attend.”

The kids picked and choosed from a variety of Christmas themed drawings as concentrated volunteers face painted the child’s face.
Melissa Sagaseta

The Shop With a Warrior event ceased at failing to warm people’s hearts as they understood the impact they made. Junior Rachel Cox experienced an unforgettable time at this year’s event. Cox explained, “It feels fulling, because, I’m buying gifts for my kid, Devin. He’s truly happy,  and it makes me happy seeing him happy. I definitely plan on attending next year!”