Open house officially kicks off the school year

Leda Catak

Parents of freshman listen to the orientation given by Dr. Gorlin about appropriate behavior in a science class.

Leda Catak and Autumn Boekeloo

NC hosted the annual meet and greet for parents and students, which allows parents to converse with their child’s teachers and develop an understanding about the semester’s criteria on Tuesday, August 23 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.,

“Open house was a good way to place a name with a face. It allowed me to hear some of the ways that I, as a parent, can assist my child to be successful,” Samuel Peng, father of senior Logan Peng, said.

The PTSA meeting began at 6 p.m. in the theater. Parents learned about the advantages of PTSA and how students benefit from the program.

Following the PTSA meeting, administrators instructed parents to homeroom to receive their schedules and discuss any questions about the 2016-2017 school year. NJROTC students guided parents in the appropriate direction and answered questions regarding joining the military program.

Parents started on their way to their child’s first period class. Teachers explain the structure of their class and what will be expected of their children throughout the semester. Teachers also mentioned the academic values provided from taking lessons in their specific course. In academic classes, teachers discussed how the class could potentially improve their overall GPA.

A parent talks with Rebecca Zavala about the expectations for the 2016-2017 school year.
Leda Catak

The bells allowed parents 10 minutes to walk to each class. Classes also lasted approximately 10 minutes, enough time to briefly inform parents about upcoming assignments and events relevant to the class.
“As a fourth year parent attendee of the NC Fall Open House, I was particularly impressed with the preparation and turnout for last nights event. Not only did the event maintain a consistent flow but the preparation and attendance by the teachers, support staff, and ROTC guides was clearly evident.  Thanks for making this a positive experience NCHS!” Jeff Boekeloo said.

The yearly NC open house lacked any anticipated pandemonium with organization, stations for help and directions, and insured a smooth transition throughout the night and a successful school function overall.