Boys lacrosse leaves with their first win of the season

Sophomore+Reagan+Mullinax+left+the+field+Tuesday+night+with+five+goals%2C+the+most+of+all+the+players.+Although+Mullinax+leads+the+team+to+a+win%2C+the+team+plans+to+practice+more+for+their+next+game+against+Allatoona+high+school+on+Thursday%2C+February+21.+

Sophomore Reagan Mullinax left the field Tuesday night with five goals, the most of all the players. Although Mullinax leads the team to a win, the team plans to practice more for their next game against Allatoona high school on Thursday, February 21.

Isabella Keaton

Isabella Keaton

Isabella Keaton

Isabella Keaton, Features Editor

Boys varsity Warrior lacrosse played their first game of the season against the Pebblebrook Falcons at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, February 12. The Warriors dominated the Falcons as they won 11-0.

During the first quarter, sophomore attack player Reagan Mullinax managed to score three of five goals. After leaving the Pebblebrook players in the dust, Mullinax fired six total shots at the goal and made all but one, leaving him with an 83 percent success rate.

“It felt good to walk away with five goals, but I still think I could have done better. I think you can always improve especially against a team like that,” Mullinax said.

With other goals from sophomore Trent Nolan, senior Noah McKouen, sophomore Braden Coats, senior Carter Giles, junior Ryan Getz, and sophomore Brandon Sengvixay, the team managed to keep Pebblebrook from scoring even once.

During the first quarter, the team played a man down after sophomore defense player Walker Goodsite received a one-minute penalty for slashing a Pebblebrook athlete while playing defense.

“I think although we won we played really bad, especially in the first half. We were just really off and rusty,” Mullinax said.

Senior Noah McKouen won all but one faceoff during the game, however, the one lost faceoff gave Pebblebrook a temporary leg up during the game. Usually, an impeccable player, McKouen’s perfect record lapsed during this game.

“We tend to play down to teams like that, especially when they’re not anywhere close to us in stick skills. So even though we did win the game it felt like we made too many mistakes to consider it a win,” Mullinax said.

Although the boys played down to Pebblebrook, they still won the game without letting the other team score. The boys will head back to practice to work on perfecting their defensive skills, ground ball skills, and refining skills for their next game against Allatoona high school on Thursday, February 21.

“We should definitely work on ground balls, but that’s pretty much the same every year. I would say our clears were off and running the offense. Sometimes we like to freelance and do our own things, but we need to just run it like in practice,” Mullinax said.

Isabella Keaton, Features Editor

Senior Isabella Keaton is features editor of The Chant as well as vice president of NC’s Theatre Thespian troupe 4225. Throughout her childhood, Keaton...