Blue Devils trample Warriors 

Lainey Devlin

As the NC Warrior varsity football team departs their traditional banner run, community members, fans, cheerleaders, and the student section cheer on behind them, supporting their every move. The Warrior offensive unit, led by junior quarterback Trevor Lovett, struggled throughout the night, only scoring one touchdown late in the first quarter. Postgame, head coach Shane Queen stressed putting this game in the past.Q

Peyton Stack, Staff

The NC Warrior varsity football team (6-2, 2-1) entered into their third region game of the season against the fifth state-ranked Marietta Blue Devils (6-2, 2-1) on Friday, October 25 at Emory Sewell stadium. Prior to play, NC senior football players, cheerleaders, band members, and athletic training aides received recognition for their contributions to the NC football program throughout the years. Coming off a 35-21 win over the North Paulding Wolfpack in the previous week, the NC Warriors appeared overwhelmed by the physicality of the Blue Devils, ultimately falling 63-35.

Peyton Stack
Along with a breast cancer awareness themed night, came senior night. Seniors walked down the middle of the field, next to their family members or coaches that helped guide them through high school. Seniors, upon arrival to the center of Emory Sewell Stadium, received praise and thanks from principal Matt Moody and AD Matt Williams. “This was my last home game ever. It’s honestly so sad but the memories have been amazing” senior student-athlete Josh Zignego said.

“Our boys had a tough game tonight, but they’ll bounce back next week. I really enjoyed senior night this year and loved how it coincided with our pink out night,” senior student-athlete Josh Zignego said.  

Followed by the initial coin toss in which the Warriors elected to kickoff, the Blue Devils struck quickly, scoring on a 15-yard touchdown pass from Tennessee commit and senior quarterback Harrison Bailey to LSU commit and senior tight end Arik Gilbert within the first 30 seconds. The Warrior offense, led by junior quarterback Trevor Lovett, expected to respond instantly, but ultimately went four and out in their first series. From there, the Blue Devils continued executing massive plays and exciting touchdowns, scoring 49 points in the first half. Bailey finished the first half with 225 yards and 4 touchdowns, later adding another touchdown and 58 more yards in the second half. 

The Warriors’ lone touchdown in the first half came when Lovett completed a 12-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Nasir Howell. Despite the short shift in momentum, the Blue Devils responded instantly with a kickoff return for a touchdown by senior wide receiver Ricky White. The Warriors increased their scoring total in the second half when freshman phenom quarterback Malachi Singleton contributed a pair of touchdowns, along with senior running back Tommieo Walker adding one of his own. Blue Devil senior running-back Kimani Vidal also added a trio of touchdowns in the first half.

“Marietta is a crazy good team. We’ve just got to learn from our mistakes and focus on the rest of our season,” sophomore linebacker Vernard Martin said. 

This loss marks an even 18-18 all-time record between NC and Marietta. For the Warriors, this game contained the most points given up in a single game since the Warriors battled Lovejoy in the 2012 state semifinals. Despite a tough and rainy game for the Warriors, head coach Shane Queen told his players to learn from this loss, and move onto the next game. Make sure to catch the Warriors take on the McEachern Indians on November 1 at Cantrell stadium.