NC hosts their first track and field meet in 8 years

Jasmina Buranich

After eight years of renovating its facilities, NC hosted its first home track meet on March 25. The JV track and field team dedicated themselves to their meet and placed in several events. Overall the girls placed second to Campbell High School and the boys placed first altogether. The Warriors look forward to the rest of their season and hope to host future meets.

The NC JV track and field team competed against Campbell High School, North Cobb Christian and Cumberland Christian Academy on Wednesday, March 25 for their first home meet in eight years. The athletes took the meet as preparation for the remainder of their season and focused on areas of improvement during their events.

The JV boys won first overall and placed in several events ranging from relays, dashes and hurdles. Senior sprinter Chris Burge placed first in the 100-meter dash with a superb time of 11.64 seconds. The Warriors also placed first in the 4×100 and 4×200 meter relay. The NC boys conquered the 200-meter dash ranking first and third in the event. Sophomore Josiah Alexander placed first with a time of 24.58 seconds, and junior Denota Young ranked third with 25.61 seconds.

Junior hurdlers Chris Martin and Cleo Johnson placed first and second in the 110-meter hurdles with times of 18.14 and 20.78 seconds. Junior Jordan Allen also captured first place in the 300-meter hurdles with an impressive 44.82 seconds along with his teammate junior Jason Keys.

The JV Lady Warriors placed second overall in the meet to Campbell but performed notably Wednesday night. The Lady Warriors placed first in the 4×100 meter relay with 51.11 seconds and beat Campbell by a lofty six seconds. They also placed first in their 4×200 and 4×400 meter relays, surpassing North Cobb Christian and Campbell by several seconds. Freshman Audrey Ward placed second overall in the 200-meter dash with a time of 28.29 seconds. 

“This was our first home meet in eight years and we were all excited to finally host other teams at our school. Our facilities are up to date now and COVID is not setting us back anymore. We still have more things to add and improve, but it is overall a major upgrade from previous years,” head girls track coach Chad Talley said.

Junior Omari Edwards, Bryan Graham, and Annisha Brown placed first overall against a total of 41 athletes in the shot put and discus. Graham hit a new personal record during Wednesday’s meet. “In my very first meet this season I hit a personal record in the shot put, but in every meet, since then I’ve failed to get close to the record I set. My competitive nature, adrenaline, and teammate’s support helped me throw the shot put further than I ever had to win the meet,” Graham said.
(Giovanna Talone)

NC’s field meet turned out successfully, winning first in several events. For the boys’ discus throw, NC took all top five spots, with senior Omari Edwards placing first after throwing 98 feet and five inches. For boy’s shot put, NC placed in the first five again, with junior Bryan Graham in first, throwing 40 feet and seven inches. For girls’ shot put, junior Annisha Brown placed first with a 27 foot and seven inches throw, and sophomore Soleil Smith placed third with a 25 foot nine inches throw.

NC’s girls and boys both won triple jump and pole vault. Junior jumpers Chris Martin and Chisom Eziomume resulted on top for the triple jump and junior pole vaulters Mollie Talley and sophomore Shea Thiewes came in first. Freshman Zaria Green placed first and freshman Isabelle Ramey placed third in the long jump. Several students hit new personal records during the meet.

“I think as a team, it was great to host a track meet at home for the kids. There are a lot of things we have to learn as a program and it’s nothing but beneficial to the program. We are already slated to host regions next year. I’m sure we will host another home meet next season, maybe even a Saturday invitational, which is a big track meet and that’s what the ultimate goal is. We finally have the facilities to do that and the equipment to host them,” track and field coach Michael Dillard said.