NC decides on three-hour-long homeroom

NC+made+the+executive+decision+to+permanently+lengthen+homeroom+on+Fridays+to+allow+students+mental+health+breaks+and+additional+time+to+catch+up+on+school+work.+Because+a+handful+of+students+do+not+ordinarily+receive+the+opportunity+to+carve+out+multiple+hours+of+personal+time+for+themselves%2C+this+new+policy+will+hopefully+serve+as+the+perfect+balance+of+education+and+free+time.+

Erinn Gardner

NC made the executive decision to permanently lengthen homeroom on Fridays to allow students mental health breaks and additional time to catch up on school work. Because a handful of students do not ordinarily receive the opportunity to carve out multiple hours of personal time for themselves, this new policy will hopefully serve as the perfect balance of education and free time.

Erinn Gardner, Social Media Editor

Starting on Friday, April 15, the week following spring break, all students will attend homeroom for half of the day on Fridays. NC made the executive decision to implement this new policy to allow students time to catch up on work and dedicate half of the day to mental health. This policy entails students attending homeroom from 8:20 to 11:30. Students will then attend two class periods, alternating between A week and B week. A week includes the first and second periods, while B week makes up the third and fourth periods. Between 11:30 and 11:50, all students who normally stand in the lunch line will pick up a “grab and go” lunch and take it with them to their next class period. Those who do not desire a school lunch will head straight to their next period and begin eating their lunch.

“It was in the best interest of the school to add this homeroom day because our goal is to prioritize the mental health and well-being of the students. Everybody is tired by the end of the week and ready for it to be over, so I think it’s a good way to wrap it up. We decided that it was a win-win situation because Cobb County was on board with the plan. We realize that many students are busy with extracurriculars, jobs, sports, so we want to provide extra time for them to catch up on any missing work or get ahead if they wish. We also know that our students don’t spend a whole lot of time in their homerooms and may not know their teachers that well, which we wish to change,” NC principal Matthew Moody said. 

According to Moody, NC will allow homeroom teachers to play movies on the board, lead classroom games and host food days. This way students can receive a “brain break” from all of the extra stress that school imposes on them. Four full days of hard work at school calls for a well-deserved three personal hours of the activity of their choice to wrap up the week. 

“I’m personally very excited to spend more time with my homeroom. I’ve had most of you all since you were freshmen and still don’t know much about most of you. It’ll be nice to see your faces more, especially since I don’t get to spend much time with the upperclassman. Plus I think it’s a much-needed break for students. It’s essentially a 3-hour free period used to do whatever you need to do, which I know many of you don’t have. I’m eager to see the outcome of this new policy,” magnet government teacher Samuel Fraundorf said.

April Fools, you fool!

XOXO,