Chick-Fil-A comes to NC

Hannah Gresham

After a year of advocating for her idea, teacher Kathy Ezzel can finally implement the idea to add a Chick-Fil-A to the NC cafeteria. Despite the initial cost, the idea should pay for itself quickly and gain lots of revenue. “I think teachers will enjoy it too, so really this will benefit everyone. As of next year, we will have a new and improved cafeteria,” Ezzel said.

Hannah Gresham, Features Editor

Every morning at NC, the smell of crispy chicken and fresh-baked biscuits wafts down the hallways, turning heads and causing stomachs to growl. Literature teacher Kathy Ezzel and science teacher Susan Aughey alternate standing at the front of the school every morning and sell Chick-Fil-A biscuits to students. For only three dollars students receive a bright smile and a mouthwatering breakfast. 

Over a year ago, Ezzel realized the potential for this small business they had started. Students adore Chick-Fil-A and would willingly spend more to enjoy the mouthwatering food. After she runs out of biscuits each morning, students in line groan in frustration and disperse back to class empty-handed. Numerous students skip class during lunch or attempt to order food for the school, creating multiple issues for staff and administrators. 

“It’s a real issue, students leaving or getting food delivered. They think they’re slick about it just because no one says anything to them, but we know,” staff member Danette King said.

After several discussions with other concerned staff members, Ezzel realized she could easily find a solution to these problems. If students possess access to this food, excessive skipping would no longer occur. Ezzel realized countless benefits would come from adding a Chick-Fil-A to the lunchroom, and students would love the food. 

“I didn’t think the administrators would go for the idea when I first proposed it, but now a year later it’s actually going to happen. I’m so excited because I know the students will love it and it will generate a lot of money that we can put back into the school,” Ezzel said. 

Unlike regular school lunches, students will need to pay for the Chick-Fil-A food, but the quality of the food will make it worth the cost. Students would remain full for hours, lowering the number of kids who eat during class and travel to the vending machines instead of working and paying attention to the teacher. 

Despite the initial cost of equipment and ‌a couple of additional cafeteria staff members, the food should gain revenue and eventually pay for itself. Ezzel created an in-depth presentation for all the costs and required renovations to clearly display the benefits of this idea. Now, after several meetings with the Cobb County School district board, the plan will soon materialize.

The soup section of the cafeteria currently remains unoccupied, so the empty area can soon turn into a functioning Chick-Fil-A. The red sign will stand clear above the area, catching students’ attention and luring them in. Construction for the cafeteria’s addition will take place in the summer of 2022, so students returning in the fall of 2022 will happily experience the food. 

“I am so excited for the addition of Chick-Fil-A in the lunchroom. It’s a brilliant idea and everyone will love it, I wish we had gotten this sooner,” sophomore Casey Connel said. 

April Fools, you fool!

XOXO,