Star quarterback Malachi Singleton commits to Arkansas

Giovanna Talone

Malachi Singleton verbally committed to the University of Arkansas on Monday, April 25 accompanied by his parents and siblings. His support system, including his football team, coaches, family and friends, cheered Singleton on after his announcement. After years of hard work and dedication, Singleton will begin his new journey in hopes of playing in the NFL.

Giovanna Talone, Reporter

After becoming back-to-back region champions, the Warrior football program continues to excel, ranking number one in the region and number three in the state, according to preseason polls. Leading the team as a four-star dual-threat junior quarterback, Malachi Singleton received 17 offers from Division I schools including the University of Georgia, the University of Arkansas and the University of Miami. Singleton fell into the top 20 football recruits for the class of 2023 in Georgia. The junior recently verbally committed to the University of Arkansas, making him a future Razorback.

Growing up playing in the NC Junior Warrior program, Singleton continues to play for NC as he enters his fourth year on varsity alongside his teammates and brothers. Entering his senior year, Singleton held 2,348 passing yards and threw 24 touchdowns while rushing for 1,037 yards on 160 carries and 25 touchdowns. His teammates, senior Joshua Josephs and junior Benjamin Hall also committed to their dream schools in the University of Tennessee and the University of Michigan respectively. Several NC football players earned offers from different Division I schools including the University of Georgia, the University of Cincinnati, the University of Missouri and North Carolina State University. As the NC football program grows, so do the players and their opportunities.

With the dream of competing in the NFL and playing professionally, Arkansas stands as the best path for Singleton’s academic and athletic career. The University of Arkansas is known for its athletic achievements and success, with 45 national championships and hundreds of conference titles among the 19 different sports programs. Arkansas earns recognition for its athletic department, regularly appearing in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) playoffs and national championships.

“For the next three or four years, I’ll be taking my talents to the University of Arkansas. The relationships I’ve built with all the coaches, they’re really good people and even better coaches. The offensive scheme is second to none. We’re getting a national championship. I know that” Singleton said.

During the offseason, Singleton focuses on academics while still training for the 2022 season In preparation for the spring scrimmage on May 13 at NC against Harrison, the Warriors start practice two weeks prior to game day. The last football game of the year has sparked buzz around campus, with hundreds of students planning on supporting the Warrior’s football team one last time in the 2021-2022 school year. 

Family and friends support Singleton’s decision to attend the University of Arkansas following his graduation in December. Leaving his hometown in Georgia, his family and NC community will miss him but remain excited about his future in Fayetteville. With a bright future ahead, Singleton focuses on his current life in Georgia, cherishing his final year in Kennesaw. 

“I am so happy that Malachi has found a school where he fits the style of play, where he can grow, and where it feels like a family. I never imagined him being so far from home, but I’m thankful he’s in the SEC where I can go to most of the games. Being that Malachi graduates in December, for the next few months I will be holding him extra close. He truly is the heartbeat of all I do and I couldn’t be more proud of who he is on and off the field,” mother Margaret Singleton said.