This summer’s release of “The Summer I Turned Pretty” season two

Callie Kinsinger edited on Canva
Thursday, August 17 concluded season two of the hit Amazon Prime Video show “The Summer I Turned Pretty.” Following the main character Belly, the show displays the drama and heartbreak of a love triangle at Cousins Beach. The return of the newest season continues a heart-wrenching storyline that readies viewers for the next season.

After a year’s hiatus, hit Amazon Prime Video show “The Summer I Turned Pretty” returned for a season two. Fans awaited the fate of main character Isabel, ‘Belly,’ Conklin’s messy and complicated love life between two brothers. Actress Lola Tung perfectly portrays the mindset of Belly, a teenage girl stuck between her thoughts and reality. Episodes released every Thursday, starting July 14. As this season unraveled, each episode left another cliffhanger. 

Originally written in 2009, “The Summer I Turned Pretty” began as a book series by author Jenny Han. Han then decided to create a show based on the book, and took on the role as a director, occasionally appearing in the background of scenes. Han also wrote “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” a popular book that also turned into a Netflix movie series. Although the storyline of the book slightly differs from the show, both effectively portray the happiness and heartbreak of the characters.

“I actually read the books my freshman year, so when I heard they were making it a TV show I was so excited. It’s really refreshing to see a book I’ve loved for so long come to life and to have the actors perfectly portray their characters. It’s honestly very different from the books than I imagined but in the best way possible,” junior Joselyn Rocha said.

Lead characters Jeremiah Fisher, played by Gavin Casalegno and Conrad Fisher, played by Christopher Briney pose as brothers and love interests for Belly, creating the ultimate question of who she will choose. This created a rivalry between the show’s fandom, where fans either label themselves “Team Jeremiah” or “Team Conrad.” The competition between the brothers intensified each episode in season two until the season finale when she came to a final consensus.

“I’m team Conrad always. He does have his red flags, but he’s honestly just so misunderstood. Their relationship blossomed at the wrong time because he was going through so much with his mom, and having his panic attacks. Even with everything he was facing, he was still there for Belly and pursued a relationship with her,” Rocha said.

Other side characters such as Belly’s best friend Taylor Jewel, played by Rain Spencer, and her brother Steven Conklin, played by Sean Kaufman, experienced deep character development through season two. Together, they worked through their problems and sparked a connection, leaving behind their previous lovers. The couple appeared countless times throughout the show, working through a series of problems and affection.

Following this, season two introduced two new main characters, the Fisher brothers’ cousin and aunt. Elsie Fisher as Skye and Kyra Sedgwick as Aunt Julia represent an intense family duo that brings accelerated drama to the scenario. Aunt Julia created a hardship with the Cousins Beach house after the devastating death of beloved character Susannah Fisher, played by Rachel Blanchard. The plot brought tears to viewers as the show included intimate moments each character shared with Susannah, prior to her death.

However, Belly and Steven’s mother, author Laurel Park, played by Jackie Chung, published a memoir of Susannah, cherishing the memories everyone enjoyed with her. After the heartbreak and sadness, the characters broke through to find themselves as they experienced their senior year of high school and explored their futures.

The season finale ends with a happy moment with Belly and her chosen love interest. Season three of “The Summer I Turned Pretty” follows a predicted return in the summer of 2024, with a confirmed 10 episodes. The next season will surely induce further pain and joy, no matter how the story turns out.

“This show has the best vibe. It takes place mostly at the beach, during summer, with a likable friend group and a great soundtrack. There’s enough drama to make a plot, but not so much that it takes away from the atmosphere of the show,” junior Gabi Haigh said.