Laufey bewitches her fans with majestic studio album

With+comparisons+to+artists+such+as+Mitski+and+Chet+Baker%2C+Laufey+recently+garnered+recognition+in+the+mainstream+world+of+music+because+of+her+talents.+By+single-handedly+reviving+old+genres+and+singing+with+a+mesmerizing+voice%2C+she+quickly+became+the+face+of+modern+jazz+music+with+her+debut+LP.+Now%2C+with+a+new+album+under+her+belt%2C+she+continues+to+ascend+into+popularity%2C+and+fans+feel+enthralled+with+her+songwriting+and+singing.+
Courtesy of Gemma Warren
With comparisons to artists such as Mitski and Chet Baker, Laufey recently garnered recognition in the mainstream world of music because of her talents. By single-handedly reviving old genres and singing with a mesmerizing voice, she quickly became the face of modern jazz music with her debut LP. Now, with a new album under her belt, she continues to ascend into popularity, and fans feel enthralled with her songwriting and singing.

Laufey Lín Jónsdóttir, also known as Laufey, recently came into the spotlight with her spellbinding music and enchanting vocals. Due to her capabilities to fuse orchestral instrumentation with bossa nova and poetic lyrics, the Icelandic-Chinese singer arguably brought jazz music back into mainstream culture. With songs such as “From The Start” trending on platforms such as TikTok and Spotify, Laufey has encapsulated emotions regarding love and heartbreak perfectly and her fanbase will only continue to increase over time.

August 26, 2022, Laufey released her debut studio album “Everything I Know About Love” and showcased her talents with bossa nova and jazz instrumentals. Influenced by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald and Chet Baker, she sang about all aspects of love with a deep alto voice and memorable melodies. For songs such as “Fragile” and “Falling Behind”, these songs rose in popularity due to her relatable songwriting regarding love. Mainstream artists typically write about romance because it remains a common feeling amongst music enjoyers; while a handful of musicians miss the mark or may come off as cheesy, Laufey managed to release a stellar debut project that gave her fans butterflies and helped them rekindle old memories. Ever since then, fans have waited desperately for her next full-length album. 

“Laufey’s music in so many ways is so enchanting and refreshing to listen to. Whenever I listen to her music I feel like I’m literally in a soundtrack for a coming-of-age film and I’m about to meet the love of my life. Her incorporation of jazz and orchestral backings sets her apart from the regular artist in her considered genre,” Campbell High School senior Coralie Hilaire said. 

While her debut album “Everything I Know About Love” remains a classic to old fans, “Bewitched” certainly surpassed expectations and pushed the singer-songwriter into the mainstream. Released September 8, 2023, the highly-anticipated album starts off strongly with the track “Dreamer.” The introductory song begins with Laufey’s voice echoing around the listener’s ears, then it smoothly transitions into a vintage piano instrumental where she sings about independence and melancholic days. The following track “Second Best” contains simplistic guitar chords combined with the singer-songwriter’s silky voice. Although the instrumental remains fairly minimal, Laufey exposes her superb writing as she describes a failed relationship.

Throughout her sophomore album, the Icelandic-Chinese musician switches from presenting songs where beautiful orchestral sounds coincide with her voice to songs that fully capture her talents as a writer. For example, “Lovesick” contains a conglomerate of majestic instrumentation as Laufey intertwines exquisite harmonies with lush guitars and quiet violins. Philharmonia Orchestra’s performance of “California and Me” blends perfectly with Laufey’s singing and their chemistry together successfully elevates the song. 

When Laufey released “From The Start” as her first single for her sophomore album, it received immediate praise and catapulted her into the hearts of TikTok users and music enjoyers alike. The song essentially details a moment of unrequited love, and as the songwriter references Cupid and pours her heart out on the chorus, Laufey’s voice serenades the listener along with the mellow guitar strings in the background. Clearly inspired by bossa nova music, the artist managed to gain over a 100 million streams on Spotify with a genre that barely receives recognition in America. 

“I absolutely love that she is able to combine many older or, I guess, less mainstream genres like bossa nova, classical and a bit of jazz into creating her music. It gives a sort of heavenly sound and a flowing rhythm,” magnet senior Divano Agassi said. 

Ultimately, Laufey proved her dedication to crafting meticulous songs that will either shatter a listener’s heart or restore it to the world. Whether she laments about letting go of people in “Promise” to finding new love in “Bewitched”, the singer knows how to enthrall her fans with relatable emotions. As she utilizes romantic chord progressions and revives old genres, Laufey stands out among her lovesick contemporaries and will continue to bewitch music enjoyers with her seamless capabilities. 

The Chant’s Rating: A