Holiday celebrations around the NC campus

Callie Kinsinger
During the stressful finals season, NC students find relief in celebrating the approaching holidays. Throughout NC, a series of decorating and holiday-themed events take place to bring the holiday spirit into the everyday school hallways. In preparation for the end of the semester, students recognize the season of giving and create a fun-filled end of the year.

As the end of the semester quickly creeps up on NC students, holiday cheer and celebrations alleviate the drag of final exams. This year, several NC clubs and classes show their holiday spirit by planning events and including the holidays in their day-to-day curriculums. Various functions organized by NC pay their thanks to the community all in the Christmas spirit.

“Me and the other Tribal Connections officers are spreading holiday spirit on campus by decorating the halls and coming up with super fun, festive events that we think everyone will enjoy. I think it’s important to celebrate the holidays in a school environment because it is a time where a lot of people are the most giving, whether it is to the community, to friends, or family,” magnet junior class president Isabella Alves said.

Kicking off the holidays, the fine arts programs performed at the yearly Holiday Spectacular. This series of performances by band, orchestra, chorus, art and theater students featured holiday-themed songs, art pieces and productions. As students performed on the Performing Arts Center stage, two art students painted live on the sides, one illustrating a Christmas tree in the snow. The theater program also performed a short skit written by NC’s own senior Savannah Tighe, introducing a fill of acting into the performance. The marching band had also planned to walk Saturday, December 2 at the “A Day With Santa” parade in downtown Kennesaw, but rainy weather caused a cancellation of the event.

Familiar to a majority of NC students, the school will hold its annual “Shop with a Warrior” event December 16. This event involves groups of students raising money to aid underprivileged families in shopping for Christmas, emphasizing the importance of giving back to the surrounding community. As students earn volunteer hours, they make core memories with children who look forward to the holidays.

Similarly, NC’s own Interact and Rally clubs host a toy drive all in the holiday cheer. AP Psychology teacher William Hargis hosts the collective drive in his classroom, rewarding students who donate gifts with a Chick-fil-A gift card. The toys will circle back to kids around the Cobb County area to provide each family with gifts and exciting surprises.

School spirit club Tribal Connections brings visual happiness to the campus by decorating the hallways for the winter season. These thrilling decorations spruce up the buildings and allow students to feel joy when strolling among the main building and cafeteria.

“We just finished decorating the hall leading up to the cafeteria. We had over 40 volunteers helping put up a bunch of different holiday scenes with the hopes of getting everyone in the holiday spirit. We also have… an event on Friday. The event is a ‘2000’s Holiday Party,’ and I think it’s going to be so amazing. Our goal is to allow everyone to remember the pure fun and joy of the holidays when we were in elementary school. We’ll have everything from singalongs, hot cocoa bars, cookie decorating, craft stations and I think even a spot to take pictures with Santa,” senior class president Ryan Lacey said.

Tribal Connections also announced the dress-up days for the last full week of school. From December 11 to December 15, students can participate in the holiday themes by coordinating their outfits to match the designated days. As students strut the hallways in their ugly Christmas sweaters and pajamas, the community comes close together to round out the semester.

With the New Year approaching, students aim to meet their goals and find new ones to set. The holiday spirit helps students and teachers alike remain composed throughout the pressuring times. The Chant wishes readers happy holidays and a stress-free end of the semester!