Unwrapping non-traditional holiday festivities

Jacey Cuffie on Canva
As the holiday season approaches, the time comes to transition into an adventure of diverse activities. Abandon the ordinary Christmas cheer and embark on new traditions with family. Whether belting out festive tunes at a Christmas karaoke or delving into heartwarming tales at a holiday book club, this holiday season promises a fantastic adventure.

Santa’s sleigh bells ring, and his elves sing, but this year, the time comes to add a new melody to the holiday song. Winter whispers its arrival, inviting festivity enthusiasts to walk in a winter wonderland of frost-kissed excitement. This Christmas, swap the ordinary for the extraordinary and explore a medley of unconventional activities that promise to shape the holidays into a merry and bright one. The magic of the season unfolds as joy reveals itself in unexpected places, and memories take shape like freshly fallen snow.

• Host a Christmas karaoke night 

At Christmas, the tradition of singing carols to neighbors endures, but why not add an innovative twist to the carols: karaoke. Gather friends and family for a lively transformation of the living room into a holiday extravaganza. Amidst the twinkling lights and festive decorations, allow the spirit of the season to come alive as familiar holiday tunes fill the air. From spirited renditions of classic carols to energetic performances of contemporary hits, a Christmas karaoke night can become a symphony of shared moments and harmonious celebration. Encourage everyone to embrace their inner vocalist, and create an atmosphere where the joy of the season stands not only heard but sung with heart and soul.

“I think karaoke, especially during the holiday time, brings out people’s creativity and confidence. People can sing along with others and build closer and stronger relationships with each other. Christmas karaoke can definitely be a fun and bonding activity to do around the holidays,” junior Joliet Whitlow said.

• Create a holiday book club

Embrace the winter season’s chill as it provides the perfect ambiance to snuggle up with a brilliant book. Encourage guests to explore literary gems such as “So, This Is Christmas” by Tracy Andreen, a tale where Inley, a boarding school student, returns home for winter break only to discover her world turned upside down. Or, dive into “The Holiday Switch” by Tif Marcelo— a heartwarming romance where a charming young man and a girl with perfectionist tendencies come together, creating a heartwarming romance.

• Exchange gifts: White Elephant edition

A White Elephant gift exchange promises laughter, surprises and a playful mystery. Participants contribute quirky, unexpected gifts, each concealing a potential treasure or a delightful prank. As the presents circulate, the room fills with anticipation and shared amusement. Unwrapping becomes an adventure, turning the traditional act of gifting into a spirited game of chance. Whether a peculiar gadget or a vintage find, the White Elephant exchange adds an element of delightful unpredictability to a holiday party, ensuring memories that linger long after the festivities conclude.

• Bake from scratch 

Celebrate the warmth of the holiday season by immersing in the delightful world of baking from scratch. Recruit loved ones in the kitchen where the alluring aroma of seasonal spices and sweet treats fills the air. Swap store-bought goodies for the joy of crafting desserts from scratch, whether classic sugar cookies adorned with colorful icing or decadent gingerbread creations. The process becomes a shared experience, filled with laughter, flour-dusted hands and the satisfaction of creating delectable masterpieces. 

“Baking from scratch is a creative and hands-on activity that lets you customize flavors, textures, and recipes to your liking. It can get many people involved in creating something that others can enjoy. It is nice being able to share something that you worked on with others and enjoy them yourself,” senior Katerine Jenkins said. 

In the whirl of wintery wonders, this festive season unveils an array of unconventional activities for enthusiasts to dive into a carousel of Christmas karaoke nights, engaging book clubs and amusing White Elephant exchanges. As families craft delectable creations from the oven, the holiday spirit soars with unexpected splendor, molding this season into a medley of surprises. 

The Chant wishes everyone a Happy Holidays!