“A Little Life” stands as a contemporary classic among readers

As+TikTok+users+rave+about+their+favorite+novels+and+curate+edits+for+their+book+recommendations%2C+people+view+%E2%80%9CA+Little+Life%E2%80%9D+as+a+classic+in+21st-century+literature.+TikTokers+and+book+fanatics+also+describe+it+as+a+saddening+book+with+realistic+depictions+of+people+and+heartbreaking+prose.+From+play+adaptations+to+approval+from+critics%2C+Yanagihara+wrote+a+heart-wrenching+book+with+a+powerful+message.+
Ivan Mendoza
As TikTok users rave about their favorite novels and curate edits for their book recommendations, people view “A Little Life” as a classic in 21st-century literature. TikTokers and book fanatics also describe it as a saddening book with realistic depictions of people and heartbreaking prose. From play adaptations to approval from critics, Yanagihara wrote a heart-wrenching book with a powerful message.

Although Hanya Yanagihara released “A Little Life” in 2015, her novel continues to trend among #BookTok users, and avid readers hail it as one of the best books of all time. TikTok star Kierra Lewis recently went viral for posting videos of herself crying while reading the paperback, and users across the platform have questioned why people find this book heartbreaking. Celebrities such as Dua Lipa have praised the National Book Award finalist for its powerful message, and director Ivo van Hove recently adapted the novel into a play. From Yanagihara’s exquisite writing style to the 800-page book’s gravitational sadness, “A Little Life” highlights the importance of friendship and the miraculous improbability of life. 

The critically acclaimed book follows four college friends as they navigate New York City in search of fame and fortune. The novel mainly follows Jude St. Francis, an enigmatic lawyer who remains physically and mentally scarred by childhood trauma. Francis becomes acquaintances with Willem Ragnarsson, an aspiring actor who yearns for accolades and the spotlight. The book also shifts focus toward other characters such as Malcolm Irvine and Jean-Baptiste “JB” Marion with similar artistic interests, but their narratives remain limited in comparison to the previously mentioned characters. Regardless, Yanagihara places a magnifying glass under their realistic friendships and beautifully displays the longevity and fragility of platonic relationships. 

“I think the book has really important topics about friendship and the love that comes with true friendship, which is something you can’t find in any other relationship. It also offers a really good insight on people who struggle with depression, anxiety, and different types of childhood trauma,” magnet senior Orifewa Otusanya said. 

As the book navigates the protagonists and unveils hidden secrets from certain characters, Yanagihara manages to portray the way trauma impacts people and their daily actions. While Ragnarsson carries burdens due to his inability to protect his disabled brother, other characters struggle with their horrible addictions to self-harm and drugs. Howard Stein, a professor who later adopts Francis into his family, feels everlasting sadness about the loss of his son, Jacob. Although each character in this book strenuously fights demons behind closed doors, they find comfort in their friends and the career pathways that they choose to pursue. 

Within the novel’s halfway point, Yanagihara powerfully showcases Francis’ perspective and the unbearable trauma he lives with daily. Francis suffers from a childhood scattered with sexual abuse and isolation, and it results in his deep insecurities and constant need to commit self-harm. Due to a horrific car accident that occurred during his teenage years, Francis becomes gradually dependent on crutches and wheelchairs. The details of his traumatic experiences and the extent to which Francis harms himself require trigger warnings. Yanagihara pulls no punches as she illustrates the main character’s heartbreaking past, yet the people surrounding him teach him that people can overcome their wounds. 

“I really like this book; it has definitely made me sad and I disliked how Jude views himself. It also really annoyed me when his friends didn’t get him any help. I personally would rather lose my friend than feel guilty about not getting them the help they need,” Otusanya said.

Individuals should not become defined by their troubled pasts. Throughout the book, Yanagihara brutally showcases how platonic and romantic relationships teach people how to conquer difficult battles. While the book sounds depressing and not everyone will pick it up due to its size, the author perfectly displays humanity and the flawed nature of normal people. From thought-provoking prose to tear-jerking life lessons, Yanagihara managed to write one of the most realistic depictions of people in the 21st century.

The Chant’s Rating: A+

View Comments (1)