BREAKING NEWS: NC alters graduation requirements

+Underclassmen+may+need+to+alter+their+course+selection+plans+to+adhere+to+NC%E2%80%99s+new+graduation+requirement.+All+students+who+anticipate+graduating+from+NC+must+take+both+AP+Calculus+AB+and+BC.+Additionally%2C+they+must+earn+a+score+of+80+or+higher.+%0A
    JASMINA BURANICH
    Underclassmen may need to alter their course selection plans to adhere to NC’s new graduation requirement. All students who anticipate graduating from NC must take both AP Calculus AB and BC. Additionally, they must earn a score of 80 or higher.

As the class of 2024 prepares to walk the steps of graduation, they may face several barriers: senioritis, college-selection stressors and other hardships. Unfortunately, seniors will need to stress about an additional problem.

April 1, 2024, NC principal Matthew Moody released a statement saying that–effective next school year– every senior who wishes to graduate from NC must successfully complete AP Calculus AB and BC. To honor the notion of inspiring excellence, the student must earn at least an 85. Any score less than 85 will prohibit the student from graduating.

Students across the school, especially students who lack strength in STEM-related fields, have expressed their frustration and outrage about this requirement. NC will hire 10 new AP Calculus-trained teachers to adhere to the influx of students that will enroll in the course.

“I am very excited. I am spending this entire summer learning every single thing about AP Calculus. I will prioritize this over football, and then step on as NC’s favorite AP Calculus teacher. There is really nobody else better for the job than me. Also, you need to know calculus for football anyway, so this is just perfect,” head football coach Shane Queen said. 

There lies a high possibility that colleges will no longer view AP Calculus AB and BC as rigorous courses for NC students, given that students need it to graduate. Nonetheless, Moody still stands confident in his decision, asserting that ever-evolving computer-science based requires AP Calculus for success. 

April Fools, you fool!

XOXO,