Warriors leash the Hoyas 28-7

Giovanna Talone

After two weeks of practice, the NC varsity football team took on the Harrison Hoyas on May 13 for their annual spring game. Both teams’ bleachers flooded with supporters from each school. The intense match ended with the Warriors defeating the Hoyas 28-7, setting off the new season with a win.

Giovanna Talone, Reporter

The NC varsity football team walked onto the field on May, Friday 13th, for the first time since the season ended last November after a loss against Roswell High School in the second round of playoffs. The Warriors closed out their season with a record of 10-2. The rising sophomores, juniors and seniors took over the field while seniors gave their final goodbyes to their coaches and teammates.

“We’ve been working hard on the off-season to get to where we are right now. We still have a lot to improve but we can only work harder from here. I definitely believe we have the talent and ability to compete for the state championship,” defensive end junior Bryan Graham (77) said. 

The Harrison Hoyas received the opening kickoff from junior kicker Javier Morales (93), with the Hoya drive ending in a quick three-and-out forced by NC’s defense. Four minutes into the game, rising senior running back Benjamin Hall (7) scored the first touchdown of the night. With Morales scoring an extra point from his field goal, the Warriors lead 7-0. With less than three minutes left in the first quarter, Junior quarterback Malachi Singleton completed a 34-yard pass to sophomore Elijah Lee (81) and kept the Warriors in the lead 14-0. In the second quarter, rising senior Jordan Allen scored NC’s fourth point before halftime ending the first half, 28-0.

Following halftime, NC’s energy remained high and the stadium filled with cheering students and parents. The third quarter ended with neither team scoring. In the final quarter of the game, the Hoyas managed to run the ball, breaking through NC’s defense to gain their first touchdown. With the final scoreboard reading 28-7, NC players flooded the field in celebration of their win. Family members of the players entered the field for pictures and to congratulate their sons, grandsons and brothers on the win. Several NC seniors ended their final days at NC in the student section cheering on their classmates. 

The team reflects on the game as a learning experience to correct their mistakes for next season. With summer training around the corner, the Warriors will continue to work and improve both offensively and defensively for the 2022 season. NC faces Collins Hill High School for the first game of the season on August 12, at home in the Emory Sewell Stadium. 

“As a defensive unit, we have really good chemistry and work really well together. That ended up reflecting on our performance which made us play fast and physically all night,” sophomore linebacker Grayson Hodges (44) said.